Friday, June 26, 2009

Death Of A Legend

Well, I'm back. This blog has a way of getting pushed to the side because of other priorities, but I promise I'll do better! Unless you've been under a rock, you know by now that Michael Jackson passed away yesterday. If you've listened to the Vinyl Years, which I hope you do, then you've heard Rocky and I both say how much we appreciate the artistry of MJ. Say whatever you want to about him, but his talent will never be up for debate. I have always leaned a little to the heavier side when it comes to music, but I know good stuff when I see it or hear it and I have liked Michael and his brothers since I was very young. I loved Off the Wall when I was in Jr. High and I loved Thriller when I was in High School. I saw Michael and his brothers on the Victory tour in '84 at Arrowhead Stadium and I've always said it was one of the best I've ever seen. It wasn't just a concert, it was an event. I'm sad that we lost Michael when he apparently was getting ready to stage a comeback. I'm also sad that an entire generation only knows the Michael that was tabloid fodder and a punchline for comedians. I'm not here to debate whether he brought a lot of it on himself or the "weirdness factor" that seemed to become his life. I've read several comments over the past 24 hours and it's just sad that people have forgotten what an incredible performer he was. If you want to debate anything else about his life, please take it somewhere else. I guess I'm just sad. I don't know that this really has a point other than the music world lost a legend and I hope now that maybe Michael gets the peace and privacy that he didn't get here. I also hope that a younger generation will rediscover some of the Jackson 5's earlier stuff, along with Off the Wall and Thriller and find out what my generation has known all along.............that Michael was and always will be the King Of Pop. RIP Michael, we'll miss you.

No comments: