Saturday, January 17, 2009

Radio For Grownups (but I can still work there!)

I listen to the radio for a living and it's a great job! I love radio and I always have. From a very early age, I can remember wanting to be a DJ when I grew up. I still do; want to grow up, I mean!! Anyway, when I was 12, my Grandparents got me a turntable/DJ set. Microphone, record board, the whole works. It was one of the best gifts I can remember receiving and I played with it until it was no more. I also wanted to be a cop, because I grew up around cops, so that never really left me. I went into law enforcement after a tour in the USAF and stayed with that for awhile. After a good career, I was just done with it. Rocky Downing, who has been a good friend of mine for over 15 years, gave me the chance to get into radio about 10 years ago doing color commentary for the Clay Center Tigers, and I was hooked. About 5 years after that, Jamie Bloom came to me with an idea for a 70's music show that I would host and Flip Thru the 70's was born! That worked into a full-time gig with KCLY, which is where I am now. It was a round-a-bout way to get here, but hey; I'm here and I love it! Where am I going with this? Who the hell knows! That's the cool thing about blogging; I don't have to go anywhere!!

I started listening to radio at a very early age. I can remember listening to KSAL 1150am when they played music. They're mostly talk now, as most AM stations are. 94.5 used to be rock/pop along with WIBW 97. 99KG out of Salina was also rock, but they played America's Top 40 on Sunday afternoons, so I listened to them alot. I think they're country now.

This will be a shock, but even though I work at KCLY, I do listen to other stations! I really liked 92.7 the Zoo from Salina, but I was shocked this past week when I found out they were dropping their classic rock format and going to all sports talk. I'll withhold judgement, but whatever! I also tune in to K-Rock out of Manhattan. Harder edged and more current than 92.7 was, but it gives me a chance to hear new bands and old bands that have put out new stuff. That said, I do listen to KCLY alot. Heck, I listen all day for that matter! I'm also tuned in most of the time between 6:00pm and 6:00am during the week and then all weekend. That's my job; I'm responsible for after hours programming, so I pay attention to what's going on! (hear that Rocky!!!!) In case you haven't been listening, and shame on you if you're not, KCLY has undergone some changes in the past few years. For a long time, the station played mostly country and contemporary Christian music. You'll still hear that, and on Sunday, it's all Christian music. But, when Jamie Bloom was program director, she started to mix in more "mainstream" music, once in awhile. She also started adding 70's and 80's music to the mix. As everyone knows, Jamie's photography business took off and she's no longer at KCLY. The changes that she started are still taking place and I think they're good ones. In fact, if you go up and down the dial, you won't find a better mix of programming anywhere. I know, I work there, I'm biased; but, from an un-biased view, I really believe that. I heard someone say recently, "where else can I tune in in the morning and buy a couch; hear Dobson at noon, and Detroit Rock City at night?" I love that line!

If you haven't tuned in lately, give us a listen! We're Radio For Grownups, but you can still listen and I can still work there!

No comments: