Monday, January 5, 2009

The Soundtrack of Your Life

Hey, I'm back! I started this blog with the best of intentions, but................anyway; you know how that goes!!!! The other thing is, the Vinyl Years have been hit and miss lately because of holidays, vactions, etc., etc., so my e-mails about the show have been limited; hint, hint!!!!
I've always loved music, I think that has been established, and as I've grown older, I've started to realize how everyone has a soundtrack that is their life. So, I'm going to try and give you mine.

I was born in 1966 but my earliest memories of music were, obviously, a little later than that. I remember at a very early age, I had a radio in my bedroom because I couldn't sleep without it. It was always tuned to KSAL 1150AM on your dial back when AM radio used to play pretty good music! Anyway, I digress.......as usual! The first song on my soundtrack is from 1966 and it's the Winnie the Pooh song! I had a Pooh bear that played that song, (I still have the bear) and I vividly remember it always being with me. I'll also put in Strangers In the Night by Frank Sinatra, because that was the biggest hit of that year! Next we move on to the 70's, which was when I started really paying attention to music and buying 45's. Seasons In the Sun by Terry Jacks is the first record I remember buying and everytime I hear it, I think of that. Down By the Lazy River by the Osmond Brothers, If You Love Me by Olivia Newton John, and Tie a Yellow Ribbon by Tony Orlando and Dawn are next. Those are the first live concerts I ever saw and I've been hooked ever since. Next we have Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees because that's the first album I remember buying and I still have it. How Deep Is Your Love is on there because of Jr. High dances. Alot of my belt buckles were polished to that song! Shadow Dancing by Andy Gibb is on there. I used to listen to America's Top 40 with Casey Kasem with a good friend who died way too young. I always think of her when I hear Andy Gibb. On to the 80's and High School Years. Love Is Like A Rock by Donnie Iris, Magic Power by Triumph, and Beautiful Girls by Van Halen start things off. I'm a huge Van Halen fan, (with Dave not Sammy) and I listened to Van HalenII non stop in the cassette player of my El Camino! I could pick any VH song, but I'll go with that one! You've Got Another Thing Comin' by Judas Priest is next. I never knew Rob Halford was gay, I just thought he was a cool British guy that liked leather! Cum On Feel the Noise by Quiet Riot, Clones by Alice Cooper and Sister Christian by Night Ranger are also on this soundtrack. I graduated in 1984 and went into the Air Force. I'll skip ahead a few years now because things got a little hazy for me for a few years but I have to add Life In the Fast Lane by the Eagles along with Take It To the Limit, also by the Eagles and That Smell by Skynyrd. If you know the lyrics, then you know; but that's another blog. In 1992 I met Jolie Anderson and my life turned around. If Tomorrow Never Comes by Garth Brooks and I Love You by The Climax Blues Band are two songs that describe how I feel about her. In 1995 we got married and in 1998, Jace came along. Cats In the Cradle by Harry Chapin, because Harry; I know what you were talking about now! I also like Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith, because that's what Jolie used to sing to him when he wouldn't go to sleep; which was pretty much all the time! In 2000, my daughter Jalyn was born. I'll go with My Little Girl by Tim McGraw and In My Daughter's Eyes by Martina McBride for Jbaby. Jolie used to sing Martina to Jalyn and she would go to sleep with her little head on Jolie's shoulder. Now that's a memory!!

So now, here we are. I think I'll end this soundtrack with two of my most recent favorites that describe my life today. Live Like You Were Dyin' by Tim McGraw and Don't Blink by Kenny Chesney. I'm a rocker by trade, but I love those two songs. They are great songs to live by and we would all do well to remember those lyrics.

So there you have it. That's the soundtrack of my life! What's yours?

No comments: