Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Rock and Politics

I've been caught up in all the inauguration festivities, just like most of America over the past week. Regardless of how you voted or who you supported, it's tough not to feel hope and that a change for the better is dawning over this country. This isn't a political blog, so I'll keep my views to myself! If you want to know, ask me in person; I'm not shy about giving my opinion!! It's been alot of fun and sometimes very emotional watching some of the people that lived through the segregation and turbulence of the 60's as they now watch an African-American become President of the United States. I've watched interviews with Stevie Wonder andAretha Franklin; who by the way, was incredible singing America the Beautiful. It was very moving to listen to them talk about events that they went through just 40 plus years ago. I started thinking about music and how it's sometimes blends together with politics and events of the time. I think it really started in the 60's with Dylan, Joplin, Hendrix and the Dead just to name a few. Singers then spoke to a generation and got them to act and get noticed. Musicians also encouraged people to get involved, to speak up and vote; and that's a good thing! It's still going on today. Musicians often are very outspoken for whatever cause they might support or candidate that they back; and I think that's fine. If I was able to be in front of 10,000 people every night and had their attention, I would probably get plugs in from time to time. It usually doesn't change my opinion of the music or the musician. I don't totally agree with Ted Nugent's right-wing politics and I sure don't agree with the Eagles liberal slant, but I love their music. And, I'll usually listen if a musician I like is talking about a point of view that I may not agree with. Sometimes if you pay attention, someone might say something that makes sense, that you never thought about! And alot of times it makes for some great songs!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you feel like you've got that " change for the better " ? We have a change alright - but only for the better if you are a communist or a member of the radical left. I don't think you are either of those things, as I don't think most people that voted for Obama are. But those of us that did not vote for him can't help but wonder if you that did are in anyway sorry yet, or if you still need more time to wake up. His color has nothing to do with my opinion - I like the thought of a black President - just not this one.
Love your show btw - (I'll try to ignore your politics) lol :)